EASY WAYS FOR PROPER DOOR LOCK MAINTENANCE
Door locks are used very frequently and just as frequently, we neglect their maintenance. In case of decent quality locks, most issues stem from lack of maintenance or improper installation. Majority of the people think that a lock’s life is forever. But the truth is, it depends on the amount of usage and regular maintenance. Rust is the most common factor that can affect the hardware. Most locksmiths expect an average lock’s lifespan to be approximately seven years.
Mid-Atlantic Locksmith provides lock repair services. We are among the top results when searched ‘mobile locksmith near me’. Click here to know more about our services.
FOLLOWING ARE THE EASY MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR DOOR LOCKS:-
- CHECK THE SCREWS AND STRIKE PLATES – There should be at least one long screw securing the top hinge to the door frame. A minimum three inches screw should be added to each hinge to prevent sagging and increase break-in resistance. You must check the strike plates while looking at the frame. The plate of the deadbolt should be secured with the wall frame in the same way as hinges with a long screw.
- CLEAN BUT AVOID OVERDOING – Outer maintenance of a lock is a piece of cake. To the maximum, use a mild detergent to wipe with a rag. Even just a damp rag is considered enough. Using an abrasive chemical can harm your lock. Petroleum-based cleaning products can even affect your lock’s appearance. The protective layer can tolerate tough usage but harmful chemicals can adversely destroy the coating.
- ANNUAL LUBRICATION – Lubrication is the most important maintenance tip and on the contrary, it’s the most overlooked factor. It’s not recommended to go for petroleum-based Teflon and other dry lubricants are considered best and convenient to use. Spray a small amount of lubricant in the keyhole and insert the key repeatedly. Wipe off the debris coming on the key out of the lock. This must be done at least once a year. You may go for a thorough lubrication by removing the lock from the door and applying it on the latch or bolt.
- DOOR’S PLACEMENT – It’s very important to ensure that your door is properly hung. A lock’s functionality completely depends on the correct installation of the door. If your door sags or binds, it may exert a lot of pressure on the lock’s latch. This can lead to lock failure and leave you locked in or out of your house.
- DUPLICATE KEYS – Maintenance of lock also comprises of maintaining its key. When purchasing a new lock, it is good to set aside one of the original keys to utilize it in creating duplicates.
Avail any sought of lock services from Midatlantic Locksmith. We are the best locksmith near you. For further details, visit the website www.midatlanticlocksmith.com
Potomac water damage restoration, water damage restoration Potomac, Potomac water damage repair, water damage repair Potomac, Potomac Emergency water damage restoration, Emergency water damage restoration Potomac, Potomac 24/7 water damage restoration, 24/7 water damage restoration Potomac, Potomac Mold Removal, Mold removal Potomac, Potomac Mold remediation, Mold remediation Potomac, Potomac commercial water damage restoration, Commercial water damage restoration Potomac, Potomac residential water damage restoration, Residential water damage restoration Potomac, Potomac Mold inspection, Mold inspection Potomac, Water damage removal Potomac, Potomac Water damage removal, Water damage cleanup Potomac, Potomac water damage cleanup, 24/7 emergency water damage Potomac, Potomac 24/7 emergency water damage, water damage services Potomac, Potomac water damage services, Mold services Potomac, Potomac mold services, Black mold removal Potomac, Potomac Black mold removal, Mold cleanup Potomac, flooded basement Potomac, Potomac flooded basement, Roof leak Potomac, Potomac roof leak,